Today, for the first time in the history of independent Armenia, an international team boxing tournament kicked off at the Dinamo Sports Complex, in which the teams of Armenia, Iran, Ukraine and Georgia participate in a round robin competition. On the opening day, the Armenian team defeated the Iranian team 6: 3.
oices.com spoke with the President of the Boxing Federation of Armenia Hovhannes Hovsepyan.
– Mr. Hovsepyan. When was the idea of organizing a tournament in Armenia in such a format born?
– I have always had such an idea. If you remember, I have always said that Armenian boxers lack fighting, and therefore lack of experience, which must be supplemented. There are different ways to do this. I think this format is one of the most effective options. Our boxers have the opportunity to fight with the representatives of different schools for a few days and, importantly, they do not leave the ring even after losing, but prepare for the fight with the representative of the next team.
– Teams from three countries have arrived in Yerevan. Do they cover the expenses?
– The tournament is held with my personal means. From the moment of arrival in Armenia, all expenses are covered by the Armenian Boxing Federation.
– This is, in fact, a friendly tournament. Does Armenia have a representative in all weight categories?
-Yes. And this tournament gave the coaches of the Armenian national team the opportunity to test the youth.
– The 2021 season is coming to an end. How do you assess the competitions of our boxers in the most important international tournaments held during the year, which was not lacking?
– I would not like us to talk about the results we have registered during the year. But I am satisfied. We registered very high results. According to the people of the sports world, such results we have not had for decades. But we will not be satisfied with what we already have and we will try to increase the achievements.
– How many boxing do you think will be in the list of the 10 best athletes of the year?
– Our primary goal is different: to have champions and prize-winners in the Olympic Games, in the world and in Europe, in the biggest international tournaments. Let the sports journalists and the head coaches of the national teams decide how many boxers will be included in the top 10.
– What are the plans of the Armenian Boxing Federation in 2022?
– Perhaps the most important thing is the European Adult Championship to be held in Yerevan on May 21-31. We will do our best to organize this prestigious event at a high level and, of course, so that our leading boxers have a dignified participation. The teams of all age groups will also take part in the European Championship, and the 17-18 year olds will take part in the World Cup.
– You always state that one of your main goals is to develop boxing in the regions.
– Yes, I attach great importance to that. Recently, I see that the high results of our athletes, especially at the Olympic Games and the World Championship, have caused a boxing boom throughout Armenia. It makes me happy. Let me bring an example. Davit Chaloyan’s final appearance at the World Championships in their village, a few kilometers from Gyumri, in Shirak and other regions, has encouraged children and the number of those who want to box has increased dramatically. We have plans and we will do everything to implement them.
– There were rumors in the media that boxing may be left out of the program of the Olympic Games.
– I do not believe that such a thing will happen. I am convinced that the International Boxing Federation, which was recently renamed, will do everything possible to meet the requirements of the IOC and prevent such a thing.
According to the Law on Copyright and Related Rights, the reproduction of excerpts from news materials should not reveal a significant part of the news material. When reproducing excerpts from news materials on the site, it is mandatory to mention the name of the media outlet in the title of the excerpt, as well as to place an active link to the site.